Session 5 Classroom
Welcome to the Session 5 Classroom.
Everything you need for working through the fifth session is right here on this page. Start with the video lecture. Download the fill-in-the-blank notes page to help you follow along!
After the video move on to the discussion questions, recommended readings, and practice exercises.
If you are still hungry for more go to section 4 and find fun videos relating to session 5 along with more resources to keep your learning going!
2: Session 5 Video Lecture
The fifth session gives helpful insight into reading scripture and praying in Church. Download and print the fill-in-the-blanks notes page:⬇️ Download Session 5 Notes ⬇️
3: After The Video
- What are some of the best prayers you’ve ever heard led in church? What made them effective?
- Which of the ideas for effective prayer resonated with you? Why?
- Which of the ideas for effective scripture reading resonated with you? Why?
- What factors do you think make it difficult to listen to readings of scripture? What do you think would help counter that?
Readings for Session 3:
- Wayne McDill, “Giving Voice to the Bible: Expository Scripture Reading.” Preaching.com.
- Daniel Overdorf, One Year to Better Preaching: 52 Exercises to Hone Your Skills (Grand Rapids: Kregel Ministry, 2013), Chapter 7, pgs. 49-54.
Brainstorming for Prayers and Readings
Brainstorm ideas for effective prayer and/or scripture reading. Use Psalm 23 as the potential scripture to be read.
Pray from Scripture
Lead a prayer from one of the following scriptures: Psalms 63, 64, 65, 67, 83, 84, 101, 103:1-5, 104:1-9, 139, 141, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150.
Scripture With a Little Something Extra
Read one of the following passages and add “a little something extra” to your reading (ex: music in background, character voices, running commentary, cued “amens,” sound effects, etc.). Genesis 18:1-16; 39; Exodus 1:8-22; 34:1-9; Leviticus 10:1-11; Isaiah 40:1-11; Amos 5:18-27; Romans 8:1-8; 8:31-37; Philippians 2:5-11; Revelation 4.
4: Keep the Learning Going
Public Reading of Scripture
This is a great video by the Bible Project on public scripture reading.
N. T. Wright on the ``Whole Sweep of Scripture``
This is an inspiring video of world renowned New Testament scholar N. T. Wright talking about reading to grasp the “full sweep of scripture.”
Here is an online article about reading scripture out loud by Richard F. Ward.
Here is the website of an excellent ministry seeking to encourage Christians to practice the public reading of scripture. There are helpful reading plans, audio bible access, suggestions for starting a small group to gather and read God’s word out loud together, and much more. They even offer weekly zoom meetings to commune with other believers and hear God’s word read aloud.