Session 4 Classroom
Welcome to the Session 4 Classroom.
Everything you need for working through the fourth session is right here on this page. Start with the video lecture. Download the fill-in-the-blank notes page to help you follow along!
After the video move on to the discussion questions, recommended readings, and practice exercises.
2: Session 4 Video Lecture
The fourth session introduces ideas and suggestions for getting Bible classes and small groups going. Download and print the fill-in-the-blanks notes page:⬇️ Download Session 4 Notes ⬇️
3: After The Video
- What are key differences in your own opinion that distinguish teaching from preaching (if at all!)?
- What kind of things drive you crazy in a Church Bible class or small group?
- From the list of Stephen Brookfield’s important truths about teaching which one spoke to you the most and why?
- Do you agree with the “4 Assumptions of Skillful Teaching”? Why or why not?
- How do you feel about lectures? Why?
Readings for Session 4:
- Stephen D. Brookfield and Stephen Preskill, The Discussion Book: 50 Great Ways to Get People Talking (San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2016), Chapters 32, 36, 39, and 48, pgs. 165-167, 181-184, 193-195, 233-235.
Title the Text
Practice the “title the text” discussion exercise described in the lecture using scripture. (See also the reading for more on “Titling the Text.”) Discuss ways this could be used for creative and fun Bible classes and small groups.
Share from Siberia
Similar to the “Lecture from Siberia” suggestion described in this session, share about the moment you accepted Christ and were baptized while standing in an odd place to garner better attention.