I wrote this one morning as I sat and attempted to begin my morning quiet time. I find myself praying something like this quite frequently so I thought I would write it down. Once I wrote it down I quite liked it actually so I thought I would share it. Here it is. Enjoy.
Oh God, I come to you humbly and imperfectly.
But I believe that my feeble attempts at concentrated attention please you even more than any sustained concentrated attention.
Thanks for that.
I know I will be distracted by something at some point:
- dogs barking
- wife talking (or singing or informing or something else)
- baby crying (or laughing or waving or something else)
- goats bleeting
- gates opening and closing
- neighbors talking (or driving or something else)
- thoughts about my outfit
- thoughts about my weight
- hunger grumblings
- worrying about my job
- fears about the economy
- random memories from childhood
- an important (but annoying) phone call that I must make (or receive)
- the cat staring at me
- worrying about my sermon
- a fly (or gnat or wasp or something else)
But here I am anyway.
Attempting to carve out a few fleeting moments of holiness or transcendence or honest or something else that I can’t quite name.
I don’t really know what I am going for here, but this:
Would you take my attempt at pray as a prayer?
I hope so. Maybe that will be enough.